Car was in a flood. I checked the air filter and it was w...

Q: Car was in a flood. I checked the air filter and it was wet. I also checked the oil to the engine and it was brown.

asked by on August 09, 2017

My car was flooded. I was able.to get it out of the water. I checked the air filter and it was wet. I also checked the oil to the engine and it was brown. 11 hours later I tried to crank the car it made little noises but it wouldn't start. I was told it could be the starter. What can it be.

Hello, thank you for writing in. Unfortunately, attempting to start the vehicle soon after it "dries out" can cause more problems. This happens for various reasons depending on what has been flooded. Typically the first step is to disconnect the battery, change out the fluids (oil, transmission, fuel) and check for any other obvious damage. You will also want to change the fuel, air, and oil filter before attempting to start the engine. At this point, there are a large number of systems that may be damaged, and extensive testing and diagnostics may be needed. Any number of electrical components may need to be replaced even if nothing is mechanically wrong with the drivetrain. It is recommended that you seek professional help, or go through the different systems (spark, air intake, and fuel to begin) one by one until you find all of the issues. For an inspection from our techs, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.