Q: Head gasket or not?

hi there my car has been using coolant for nearly a year now had it into the garage various times pressure tested twice only now they say it is suspected head gasket. they found exhaust hydrocarbons in the coolant sniff test but the oil is clean no gunk and coolant isnt dirty could it be a leaky egr cooler or head gasket ?

car is a vw golf gt sport tdi 170

If it is confirmed (i.e., no false positive) that exhaust gas is present in the coolant, that means one of three things: the head gasket is leaking, the head has a crack in it (not unusual) or the block is cracked. EGR coolers can leak but investigating that is almost a moot issue as you cannot reliably operate a car with exhaust gas leaking into the coolant so the focus should be on repairing that problem and in the course of that repair a complete inspection of the cooler can be made on disassembly anyway. If you desire that the leak(s) be conclusively identified by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an engine cooling system leak diagnostic and the responding mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.

3. Head gasket or not?