Q: Replacing front brake pad and reasonable dealership cost

I was told by a local Lexus dealership that my front brake pad is 3mm left that I need to replace it for $280 with rotor resurface and all parts and labor are included. Are they telling the true that I need replacement at 3mm? If yes, is it a reasonable price as I see it cost way less on YourMechanic.com here...appreciate your feedback!

Hi there. I understand your concern. I start suggesting brake pad replacement at 3mm. Most technicians have a brake pad thickness gauge that takes the guesswork out of determining when to suggest brake pads replacement; 1-3mm is red, 4-6mm is yellow, and 7-10mm is green. At 3mm thickness the brake pads ability to dissipate heat has been drastically reduced as well as braking performance and can result in the what is called "hot spots" in the rotor; these spots look like blue or black spots and cannot be resurfaced to repair. Once the spots are in the rotor, resurfacing should not be attempted. Rotor replacement increases the cost of the repair when this occurs. YourMechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a brake inspection and brake pad replacement as necessary at your home or office.

3. Replacing front brake pad and reasonable dealership cost