Q: Car been sitting in garage for over a year. Bad starter.

Year ago starter went out. Too expensive to fix so let it sit for over a year. Tires are going low. Going to put starter in myself. Doesn't seem that hard to install. Question is once starter installed. What needs to be done before driving? Oil/ gas .... procedurally what needs to be done? Thanks

A: Hello. There are quite a few things that yo...

Hello. There are quite a few things that you should do. The extent to which you do them will depend on need as you prioritize it with the budget you have. After replacing the starter, you will also want to change the oil. Oil that sits that long wont protect the engine, and may even cause other problems. If possible to add some fresh gas to the tank, you should do that as well. The better option is to drain the fuel and refill with fresh fuel, but that option is not always practical in a home setting. The fuel system needs to be disposed of properly.

It is likely that the battery is dead and needs a charge. Visually inspect all of the components in the engine bay. When a vehicle sits that long, it is possible for animals and other small creatures to crawl inside places you don’t want them to be when the engine starts. Make sure the tires are properly inflated. Be careful to not over inflate them. If the tires are in poor condition when the air inside them expands, its risks a blowout. If you need further help with this getting your car back on the road, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can give you a comprehensive inspection of your car and perform any services needed at your home.