Q: Starter keeps going after car is on. When i turn the key just to see the dash the car starts and it keeps trying to start.

asked by on September 14, 2017

Basically when I turn the key just to turn on the dash the car starts and keeps trying to start. Basically I don't have to turn the key all the way to start it . is it my ignition switch?

Hi Omar. Thanks for contacting us tonight. The starter problem you are describing is probably the starter solenoid, a power switch (integrated into the starter assembly) that takes a small current from the ignition switch and engages a large current at the starter. The contacts in the solenoid can burn over time, "sticking", which can cause the starter "run-on" like you described. It’s also possible that you have a stuck starter or ignition relay that is causing this issue.