Q: Does the entire oil pump have to replaced if it's just the hose fattest degraded on a Suzuki XL-7 2007

Have a 2007 Suzuki XL-7 with 82000 miles on it. It's been causing me problems and the garage I bought it to said that it would cost $3,000 to replace the oil pump and the hose, but he thought he would feel more comfortable just replacing the entire engine, is he trying to take me for a ride?

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

If your oil pump has failed, replacing the oil pump on your vehicle costs less than $1,000. However, with only 82,000 miles on the engine, failure of the oil pump would be unusual. The oil pump can and should be tested by measuring pump output pressure on the running engine. Before spending money on such a repair, the mechanic should be able to explain to you his or her pressure readings or otherwise give you a valid, verifiable reason why replacement of the oil pump is necessary. It is only necessary to replace an engine if there is a major mechanical failure and the failure would have to be uneconomic to fix, too, in comparison to the relatively high cost of buying a new "crate" engine. It would be exceptionally unusual to need a new engine after 82,000 miles. If you want a thorough, objective, and unbiased professional evaluation of the mechanical status of the engine, and possible repair needs, please request a no start engine diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.