Q: The inside of rear wheels have more wear than outside

asked by on August 09, 2016

The inside of my rear wheels has more wear than does the outside of them. So I went and purchased new tires and had a 4-wheel alignment. The tire shop told me that this inside wear is caused by “excess negative camber and at 2 1/2 degrees on each side is outside the spec range, but is unadjustable.” So I next went to the Volvo dealership who told me that 2 ½ degrees ‘is’ within the specs and they continued to explain that the wear is caused by a toe-in problem. So I had them to perform a “2nd” alignment. This is getting tiring and expensive. Can you give me your professional opinion and experience in dealing with a matter like this and how to fix it?

Uneven tire wear Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Yes, the inside tire wear is most likely attributed to the negative camber setting that can be accelerated by excessive toe-in as the tires are competing to determine the track of the vehicle. If you do get the alignment you can ask for the least amount of negative camber as specified by the manufacturer and the least amount of toe-in and this will give you the least amount of inner tire wear without affecting the vehicle’s handling characteristics. If you want to have this looked at and diagnosed, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your tire wear issue and recommend the appropriate adjustments.