Q: We have a 2005 Jetta and brake light stays on even when car is off. The light goes off if we pull up on the pedal.

asked by on September 11, 2017

We have a 2005 Jetta and brake light stays on even when car is off which drains the battery. The light goes off if we pull up on the pedal.

Brake Light Switch Replacement $90.34 - $179.27 Get a Quote

It sounds like you may have a faulty brake light switch circuit which controls a number of things in the vehicle. This switch indicates when the brake pedal is pushed and triggers the brake lights to come on. In addition, this switch also allows the cruise control to be disabled when pressed as well. When this switch fails or has a poor connection, this can cause the brake lights to remain on or in some cases not work at all. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic to come to your location and diagnose and inspect the vehicle.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr