Q: Does the car have to be driving down the road for the computer to sense a Fuel line EVAP leak?

asked by on June 12, 2017

The car has around 3/4 of a tank of gas. Car runs fine when stationary. Do I have to drive it to have the check engine light kick in if there's a fuel EVAP leak or can it be stationary?

In order for the EVAP system to complete the drive test you need to be at a cruise steady speed with engine warm and no check engine light on. The actual speed is needed will be in overdrive above 45 mph. Once the test is done then only way to know if it has been done you will need to scan the computer to view the monitors and do not clear them or the process starts over again. It may take a week or two to complete the entire monitor process for all the monitors.