Q: The doors won’t lock electronically with my remote key

The front passenger side door is the only door on my 2009 Chevrolet Impala that will lock and unlock via the remote on the keys. The other three progressively stopped working and I have to manually lock and unlock those doors. Not convenient with children. This car has 69,000 miles on it and I plan on using it for 150,000 miles, at least. I hate this problem but the fix is so expensive. Can I just keep using the locks manually or is something bigger wrong here?

A: If the front passenger side door lock is fu...

If the front passenger side door lock is functioning properly with the remote key but the other three (3) door locks are not, this is an indication that there may be a problem with the door lock actuators.

Door lock actuators lock and unlock the vehicle doors when a button is pressed on the remote key or the door itself. Each door has its own door lock actuator and when/if it stops working completely, this will prevent the door from being locked and/or unlocked.

It may be possible to continue locking and unlocking the doors manually without any problems other than the lack of convenience. It is also possible that with time, manually locking and unlocking the doors will not be possible. Replacing door lock actuators can be expensive so one option would be to replace one (1) door lock actuator at a time. Another option would be to wait until the door lock actuators stop working completely before replacing it.

Before making a decision about your options for replacing the door lock actuator, contact a certified technician who will be able to help you decide your best course of action.