I am leaking coolant only sometimes. 2002 vw passat. p...

Q: I am leaking coolant only sometimes. 2002 vw passat.

asked by on November 02, 2017

I pulled out driveway one day and seen puddle. Looked and noticed coolant Reservoir was almost empty. Added coolant to the fill line didn't have no leaks for a couple days then the next couple days I had the same thing happen again. I cannot find the leak and it only leaks once in awhile I am not overheating and there's a gurgle sound underneath my Dash the leak is on the passenger side near the firewall

Coolant leaks can be very tricky because they might happen only under certain conditions. Some leaks may only occur when the engine is cold, while others might only show when the engine is hot. some may be low pressure leaks and some might only happen under high pressure. But slow leaks like yours usually leave tracks. The VW coolant will leave a pink crust in the locations where is is slowly leaking out and evaporating. Your car has a lot of small coolant hoses that are probably due for replacement and you might not be able to get a look at the locations where it may be leaking. If you contact YourMechanic they will send a technician to your home or office to check out your coolant leak and let you know what you can do to solve it.