Q: 2006 Toyota Matrix fuel pump plastic lock ring stuck. Universal removal tool is crap. Help. Frustrated.

Replacing fuel pump on 2006 Toyota Matrix. The plastic lock ring is stuck because of course it is. I've got a universal removal tool that WOULD work if the small teeth on the lock ring didn't exist. Is there a way to remove this I'm missing? Have attempted the 2x4/hammer, chisel/hammer combination and cannot get the effing thing to budge at all. Will a strap wrench work? For the love of all that is holy, please help. I'm going crazy and have been at this for three hours already.

Many times there is what is called a spanner wrench that is used to remove fuel pump lock rings. If you are unable to get one of those, a hammer and chisel is your next best option. You could also spray some penetrating oil on the ring to help it break free. Finally, if all else fails you can try to use an air hammer with a chisel on if for more power.

3. 2006 Toyota Matrix fuel pump plastic lock ring stuck. Universal removal tool is crap. Help. Frustrated.