Q: How do you deactivate or activate the Belt-Minder® system?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How do you deactivate or activate the Belt-Minder® system?

While the Belt-Minder® system in your car is designed to help ensure that you’re aware if a seat belt isn’t being worn, there may come a time that you need to deactivate (and then reactivate) the system. Here’s how:

• Before starting, make sure the parking brake is on and the transmission is in park (neutral for a stick). The ignition should be off and both front belts unbuckled.
  1. Turn the ignition on but don’t crank the car.
  2. Let the Seat Belt Light turn off.
  3. Buckle and unbuckle the belt three times.
  4. Watch for the Seat Belt Light to come on for a few seconds.
  5. Buckle and unbuckle the belt again.
  6. Watch for the Seat Belt Light to flash.

To reactivate the Belt-Minder® system, just repeat these steps.

Tips

• You have to activate/deactivate the driver and passenger sides separately.

• Buckling the seat belt on the other side while activating/deactivating the Belt-Minder® on one side will cancel the process.

• You cannot deactivate the Belt-Minder® system if you’re using a MyKey®.