Q: P0054

Took to mechanic and 02 sensor was changed. Light came on again, took back to mechanic they changed both 02 sensors and light came back on. No signs or symptoms. Wondering if ok to drive 1300 miles across state line?

A: Hi there: It’s very difficult to tell you ...

Hi there:

It’s very difficult to tell you yes or no on whether it’ll be OK to drive 1,300 miles with this particular OBD-II error code. In general, the P0054 code indicates a problem with the HO2 sensor. If you replaced the other O2 sensors, it’s possible that the original error code was not removed which is why it still shows up. If you’re not experiencing any symptoms, then you should be OK to drive this road trip.

A: Hello. Without having the vehicle here for ...

Hello. Without having the vehicle here for examination it is hard to say if it is safe for a longer trip. The code your car was detecting is for the heated oxygen sensors, and the technician replacing them was the proper step to take. With the light remaining on, it is hard to tell if there is an issue with the catalytic converter or not. If the engine is running well without any signs of major issues, then the issue is likely pertaining to a bad wire or connection. A bad connection or wire will have to be traced with a multimeter and a wiring diagram. It can be time consuming. A newer vehicle like yours is less likely to have a bad catalytic converter, but you may want to have a technician give you another safety inspection before you take the trip.