Q: Failed emissions test, (OBDII), trouble code P0460: fuel level sensor circuit, the fuel gauge & warning light are accurate,? 2001 Ford Ranger

Okay, this vehicle is almost always run with less than a quarter of a tank of fuel, the day before the failed test it ran completely out of gas. At time of said test it had maybe an 8th of a tank of fuel. Could this fact adversely effect the test? Their are some electrical issues, but the fuel gauge has always been true.

Hello - the P0460 code is not a failure of the fuel gauge, but rather a discrepancy between how much fuel the Powertrain Control Module thinks is in the tank, and the fuel gauge reading. This problem occurs most often when the vehicle is fueled up with the key in the "Run" position - whether the engine is running or not. Try fueling up (full tank) with the key turned Off. You may need to clear the code after doing this to get rid of the Check Engine light, or it may clear on its own after a couple of drive cycles. For assistance, I recommend a Check Engine inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

• Failed emissions test, (OBDII), trouble code P0460: fuel level sensor circuit, the fuel gauge & warning light are accurate,? 2001 Ford Ranger