Q: cannot figure out how to use the tensioner pulley for serpentine belt removal

asked by on February 16, 2017

I'm trying to replace the alternator on my mountaineer and i can't figure out how to work the tensioner pulley to get the serpentine belt off. I'd like to see a picture or good video if possible

Alternator Replacement $149.30 - $1391.75 Get a Quote

Hello, and thank you for writing in. We currently do not have videos available to share with you, however we can do our best to walk you through the process and how the pulley works. What you see when you look at the pulley is the black free spinning pulley that moves with the belt. This pulley is spring loaded and keeps the belt tight. To remove the belt, you must push down (loosening the belt), and when you have enough slack, pull the belt off the pulley. You can then proceed with taking off the alternator and making that repair. After that, you are going to need to reverse the procedure and push down the pulley while you put the belt back on. There is a bolt in the center of the pulley that you can use for leverage to help move the pulley to remove the belt. For more help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.