Q: After shop replaced my starter on 330ci bmw, my car is in limp mode

After the repair shop put my car back together after extensive work (4.5 hours labor) to get to the starter my car is in Limp mode. Shifts hard and runs bad. I'm taking it back in tonight and I'm certain they missed something while putting the car back together.

Hi. More than likely there is a fuse blown causing the car to be in limp mode. This could have happened when they reconnected the battery or when things were removed to get to the starter. The shop will always need to clear all the codes in the computer to properly get out of limp mode and is something the shop should be able to care of in a timely manner.

If you would like to have a certified mechanic to take a look, one of YourMechanic’s mobile mechanics can come to your home to diagnose the cause of the limp mode and perform a fuse replacement if needed.