Q: My jeep will sometimes start and sometimes it wont.

My jeep will start and sometimes it won't. Recently it won't start more often than it will. It sounds like its trying to turn over but it won't crank. The lights and radio work, so I know the battery is fine. When it does drive, it seems like its having trouble switching into a higher gear or like it skips a gear. What could cause this issue?

A: Hello. Even though your lights and radio ar...

Hello. Even though your lights and radio are still working, the battery may still not have enough voltage to engage the starter. Use a multi meter to ensure your battery is testing at least 12.6 volts. Next, test your alternator and make sure it is reading 13.8 - 14.2 volts. The only downside to testing the alternator is that you will need to have the vehicle running. If you can start the vehicle, test it. If not take your alternator to a local parts shop, and they will be able to test it for you. If the issue is beyond your battery and alternator, check your starter. Listen closely when you turn the key. Do you hear a single click? If so, the issue is likely your starter. A quick diagnostic trick for your starter is to use a metal object, like a small hammer, and knock on your starter as someone turns the key. Most of the time, this will start your vehicle. If you further assistance, enlist in a qualified professional. If you need help, have a technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to replace your starter.

Recommended services
Get a Quote