Q: White smoke from exhaust

asked by on February 15, 2016

My car is blowing white smoke out of the exhaust.

Smoke from engine or exhaust Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello. White smoke out of the exhaust usually means that there is coolant getting into the cylinder head, or engine block. The most common cause of this is a blown head gasket. This means that the head gasket that sits between the engine block and cylinder head is leaking coolant into the engine. To repair this problem, the head gasket can be replaced, along with the cylinder being rebuilt. Otherwise, the engine would need to be replaced completely. A thorough diagnosis of the source and cause of the white smoke should be done by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.