Q: Broken thermostat housing

asked by on August 07, 2017

We have taken it to a couple of car places, both checked it and said the code said it needed a needs coolant sensor, the car shop broke the thermostat housing trying to put in the sensor, and tried to charge us another 354 dollars, my husband didn't pay them because they were charging to much, are they allowed to break something on your car and not be responsible for it! I think that's a rip off, anyway can you drive the car with a cracked thermostat housing! We are going to take it somewhere else to get it fixed! I hope that is what is making it keep cutting off! We replaced air sensor, and fuel pump!

Thermostat Replacement $141.92 - $702.78 Get a Quote

A cracked thermostat housing can definitely cause the coolant temperature sensor to produce false readings due to the fluctuation in temperature and leaking coolant. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your thermostat to replace.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr