I am thinking about buying a used 2014 Volkswagen Jetta m...

Q: I am thinking about buying a used 2014 Volkswagen Jetta manual trans with about 44,000 miles. About how long would I have before r

asked by on September 24, 2017

Normal wear

Only a detailed inspection can confirm the condition of the vehicle. In order to determine if the car is worth buying you should consider the mechanical condition, whether there are any outstanding manufacturer recalls that the owner has NOT addressed, the status of the title, and whether the vehicle has been in ANY accidents. Accidents (see Carfax) are a red flag and if not incredibly minor require a substantial discount on the price, if the vehicle is even worth buying at all (for example, if you were to see in a Carfax report on a vehicle that "air bags deployed", do not buy the vehicle).

Inasmuch as used car repair, maintenance, and restoration costs are highly dependent on the actual, as found, condition of the vehicle, the only way to get a reasonably precise estimate of costs you might face, and also to protect yourself in the transaction, is to request a pre-purchase vehicle inspection. That inspection, carried out by a certified Mechanic, dispatched to your location, will give you the exact data that you need to make a fully informed, intelligent decision and minimize your risk in buying a used car. If you look at the just cited link for YourMechanic’s inspection service, you will see a long list of the vehicle systems that must be inspected as well as details of YourMechanic’s inspection methodology. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.