Q: Knocking noise when turning at slow speeds and braking

asked by on July 20, 2017

edited my question a bit. When I turn at slow speeds or just shift to reverse/drive and start driving slowly, I start to hear a knocking/clunking noise from the front of the car. Also when I'm braking It knocks once almost every time. It sounds like it's coming from the passenger side. The mechanic just replaced my front right wheel bearing and they suggested I change the struts as well. I feel like it's not the struts since I don't hear the sound very often when I go over bumps. Sometimes in park I hear a knock knock knock which goes away after 3 or 4 knocks too. The mechanic said he checked the ball joints, u joints, etc and they THINK it's the struts but I need a second opinion. Thanks so much.

Faulty outer CV axle joints can make a knocking noise on turning. If the identical noise also occurs in park, it may be that you have multiple sources of the knocking. An option for you is to schedule a front suspension noise diagnostic. The mechanic would then diagnose both the noise underway (while turning) and the noise as it occurs in park. Regardless of whether multiple noise sources exist, the Mechanic will apprise you of the diagnostic results and estimate the repair costs so that you can decide what you would like to do. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.