Q: I hear a slight knock that doesn't get louder when you accelerate

asked by on February 28, 2017

It runs great just can hear a knock

Hello there. Knocking in your engine, also described as pinging, can mean one of several problems. Some may be easily fixed while others may indicate major damage. The knocking sound often occurs when the fuel and air mixture is incorrect, which causes the fuel to burn in uneven pockets rather than uniform bursts. Left untreated, it can cause damage to the piston and cylinder wall. It is possible that the knocking is coming from a different source, like suspension, transmission or other drive line component. You might want to have a professional mechanic complete a car is making a noise inspection to correctly identify the source of this noise.