Q: Filled in regular instead of premium fuel, CEL came on, P0022 code

The check engine light was illuminated on my dash. I'm not sure if it might have anything to do with it but the other day, the worker at a gas station accidentally filled the fuel tank with regular 87 instead of the premium 93 octane. I got the codes read, and the P0022 appeared. After driving a bit more after that, the check engine light went off. Do I have anything to worry about? Is there a correlation between the error code, the CEL and regular fuel? Thanks.

A: Hello there, the P0022 code is indicating t...

Hello there, the P0022 code is indicating that the car’s computer has over-retarded the engine timing. This makes sense with the 87 octane gasoline used instead of the 93 octane gasoline. The car was most likely attempting to adjust to the lower octane gas and set the code. The code would go away once the computer was able to adjust to what octane gas is present. The best thing to do is to drive the car and fill it with the proper gas during your next trip to the gas station. If you notice that the light still remains well after your next fill of gas, then have the Check Engine Light diagnosed by a technician to see if any other issues are occurring.