Q: I'm not sure what to do or what I need to have fixed or replaced

asked by on October 27, 2016

Hello good morning, So my 2012 dodge charger has been having issues for about a month now I went and got a diagnostic check and my results said that engine is ticking from the valve train likely to have a damaged camshaft due to failed rocker arm. I'm just confused on what that actually means and what do I need to do to get it fixed. Any suggestions? I don't know to much about cars and the dealership service center whats an unbelievable amount of money just to get inside the engine. So i'm stuck on what to do next?

Hello. If there is a ticking or knocking noise coming from the top of the engine, then it may have the damage that you mentioned. If the noise is not very loud, then it may be normal as these engines will make some noise. If the noise is loud and if the engine is running poorly, then it may in fact be a camshaft and rocker arm problem. The only way to know for sure would be to remove the valve cover and inspect it. There are a lot of other things that it could be, so doing this inspection would be the first place to start. If you want to get a second opinion on this issue, consider having a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose your noise problem.