Q: When car is running I can put it into gear without pushing the clutch peddle down but it doesn't engage 1988 Mitsubishi

When I start car I can put it into gear without pushing down the clutch. There is no grinding noise and the car won't drive It's like it's still in neutral. It is going into gear, I can feel it go in . I've tried every gear and reverse it doesn't move off in any gear.

Hello - there are 2 possibilities here: the first, and the one you hope for, is that the shift linkage has failed (most likely shifter cables), and you are not actually selecting a gear in the transmission although it feels like you are. The second possibility, which will be far more expensive to repair, is that something in the transmission, clutch or differential has failed, and is not transferring power to the wheels. I recommend a drivetrain inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

Hello - there are 2 possibilities here: the first, which you really want to hope for - is that something in the transmissions shifter linkage (one or both of your shifter cables?) have failed in some fashion, and you really aren’t engaging any gear when you move the shifter into a "gear’d" position. The other possibility is that you are able to select a gear, but something in the transmission, clutch or differential have failed. This second choice will be far more expensive to repair than replacing shifter cables. I recommend a shifter problem inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. When car is running I can put it into gear without pushing the clutch peddle down but it doesn't engage 1988 Mitsubishi