Q: 2003 altima will not start after replacing CPS, checking spark and replacing fuel pump

asked by on August 12, 2017

The car started running rough, acting like it wasn't getting enough gas. It wouldn't start the next day. I replaced the fuel pump, but that didn't fix the problem. I checked each of the 4 spark plugs, and they were sparking when the engender was rotating.

I replaced the crankshaft position sensor (pain in the butt), and still the car will not start. I switched out the camshaft position sensor with the old crankshaft position sensor, assuming that since replacing the later, the problem wasn't fixed. It still will not start.

The next nearest sensor is over 60 miles away, so I'd like to know of there is something else that could be wrong before I drive there to pick it up.

Whether the fuel pump is new or old, the pressure has to be tested on the fuel rail to be sure the pump, and other fuel system components such as the filter, regulator, etc., are actually working. If the fuel injectors are not working, even with good fuel pressure the car will not start so injector operation has to be verified, too. If the engine cranks at adequate RPM, be sure there is adequate fuel in the fuel tank and that the fuel is not old. Download any OBD-II trouble codes that have been stored and examine those codes for diagnostic clues. Basically, if the starter motor is turning the engine over rapidly, at sufficient RPM, but the engine does not catch and run, that means that there is an ignition, fuel, air induction, or mechanical fault in the engine that will have to be repaired. Check for vacuum leaks, an air induction fault like a stuck idle air control valve or, considering fuel, check for a failed temperature sensor that must be working properly to signal the PCM to enrich the mixture on cold start. Other possible no start faults are low compression, defective spark plugs, a defective coil(s) and a broken timing chain. Regardless of the underlying cause, if you request a no start diagnostic the responding certified mechanic will get the problem diagnosed and repaired for you promptly. Please let us know if you have further concerns or questions as we are always here to help you.