Q: Driver side door lock button not working, and passenger side sliding door makes a buzzing noise

asked by on May 13, 2016

The driver side door lock buttons are not working on my van. I bought the van used, and after a couple weeks I noticed that when I used the driver side button to lock, the passenger side sliding door would not lock, but all the other doors would. I realized that the door lock switch on that door was stuck. I fixed it and was able to lock all the doors with the driver side lock button, but then the passenger side sliding door started making a buzzing sound when it was locking. I pushed the lock/unlock buttons a few times on the driver side door and the buzzing sound got higher pitched (almost as if a part was winding up and ready to snap). Then the driver side door lock suddenly stopped working at all. All of the other buttons on the driver side door panel work. Is this an issue with the button, or a part inside the passenger door? Is this something I can fix myself?

Hi there. These door issues are common on this vehicle. Most of the time the main issue is the master door lock switch on the driver door. It sounds like you already replaced that. As for the sliding door problem, most of the time, this is a failure within the door module or it can be a connection issue.

I typically take the door apart and check the connections on the module and inside of the door just to make sure that there is nothing apparent in there. If the connections and the wiring are fine, then I use a scan tool to check the module to see what the inputs and outputs are doing. If you need to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your door problem and recommend a repair.