Q: Best brand of spark plugs for a 2012 Subaru Forester

asked by on June 08, 2016

I have a 2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X with 75,000 miles with original spark plugs and the engine started misifirng. What brand of spark plugs should I use to replace the original spark plugs with?

Stick with the iridium spark plugs. The car was designed to run correctly with those spark plugs. A lot of times people try to sell you the more expensive ones and it’s more of a gimmick than anything else. That said, the iridium spark plugs are the best spark plugs because iridium doesn’t wear out so they last longer.

On the cars like the Porsche that you have, pull the engine out to change the spark plugs. You’d want to use iridium spark plugs. Because if they last 150,000 miles, that saves you from changing the spark plugs three times, which can add add up to thousands of dollars total on changes. But on Subaru, it’s not that hard to change the spark plugs, so stick to the factory plugs. They were designed for that. The iridium spark plugs don’t run any better, they just happen to last longer because they don’t wear down as fast. It is a precious metal. If you want to have this done, a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, can come to your home or office to replace your spark plugs for you.