Q: Intermittent burning smell in the car

asked by on August 30, 2016

I've purchased this used car with around 160,000 miles on it. I'm very satisfied with the car generally and it's been running great. However, there is an intermittent burning smell that varies in how strong it is. I took the car to the garage and they found nothing out of the ordinary. The dashboard isn't showing any warning light on. The car has no leaks either. There are no unusual sounds and no smoke. However, at times I can feel the burning smell. I cannot figure out what could be making the smell. Do you have any idea?

Smell in the car Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Electric Problems Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. It sounds possible that there was some leftover fluid from a repair completed previously that is now leaking on the exhaust and causing a burning smell in your car. There could also be a very small or slow leak that is hard to see or find and causing a burning smell when it is hot. I would suggest that you you have the car inspected for leaks using a dye. This dye makes it easier to find small leaks. I would also recommend that you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come and complete an inspection of the electrical wiring and components in order to determine the cause of your problem.