Q: Car won't start but the electrical stuff is working

my 2008 c300 window, radio, lights are working but when I start the car it turns over but immediately cuts off

A: A no-start or start-then-stalls issue can b...

A no-start or start-then-stalls issue can be caused by a couple of different things. A bad smart key can be one of them. Use the second smart key provided with the vehicle to try starting the vehicle. If it starts, then the first key may be faulty.

If the vehicle behaves the same way with the second smart key, the electronic ignition switch may be at fault. They can go bad and fail to recognize the smart keys and require replacement. That would require the vehicle being towed to your local Mercedes dealership service department and providing them with all of the keys you have for the vehicle. All keys would have to be programmed/coded to the new ignition switch or they will fail to start the vehicle.

If you’d like to have this issue looked at in person, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your location to diagnose the no-start issue.