Q: While I am driving my car makes a loud knocking sound. I t may be coming from the engine I'm not quite sure.

asked by on February 19, 2017

The engine light isn't on or anything like that, but there Is a loud ticking or knocking sound while I am driving the car. Any idea what this could be?

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The noise will be identifiable, and the origin pinpointed, if you request a vehicle noise diagnostic. Ticking noises are usually due to valve train problems and, in turn those problems can be caused by low oil pressure. Knocking, if from the engine, can be due to failed bearings. There are some knocking and clunking noises that can arise from suspension or strut faults but those noises are not nearly as persistent and "regular" as engine knocking, or ticking, noises. I encourage you to seek out the diagnostic and then with the mechanic’s advice and explanation, you can decide how best to handle the problem. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.