Q: Car loses power and stalls/dies if under 2000 RPM

asked by on August 01, 2016

My car started losing power while I was driving it. It stalls and dies if it goes under 2000 RPM for longer than just a few seconds, even when in neutral. On my way to a mechanic shop, it stalled and wouldn't turn back on. I was giving it plenty of gas to stay above 2000 RPM, but it wouldn't stay up at that point. It won’t start completely, however the engine does rotate. Even after it sitting overnight, that didn't help either.

I'm thinking that it might be related to the fuel pump or a bad crankshaft position sensor. In my research, this doesn't seem to be a very common problem. In a few days I have an appointment for a mechanic to come look at it. Could you please help me know what to say to give him something to start with?

Mass Airflow Sensor Replacement $171.84 - $740.29 Get a Quote
Fuel Pump Replacement $120.92 - $1186.72 Get a Quote
Fuel Filter Replacement $83.13 - $270.56 Get a Quote
Alternator Replacement $149.30 - $1396.98 Get a Quote
Battery Replacement $200.97 - $319.07 Get a Quote
Oxygen Sensor Replacement $108.80 - $869.59 Get a Quote
Car is stalling Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello there. There are a few possible problems could be causing your 1999 Nissan 200SX to stall in this manner. The most common would be a MAF sensor, vacuum leak, fuel pump, fuel filter, alternator, battery or oxygen sensors. I recommend having a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose the stalling issue in person in order to have the appropriate repairs completed.