Q: Intermittent high revving

My car is revving high intermittently. It occurs during idling and when I first start the car. These days, the RPMs go as high as 2250 on average. The RPMs would decrease to around 1100 when I put it in reverse or drive. It would start revving very high again if I put it in park or neutral. Then, the RPM would go over 2000. The RPM while idling in drive goes to 1100. The issue seems to occur when the weather is colder. What could be wrong?

A: Hello there, thanks for writing in about yo...

Hello there, thanks for writing in about your 2004 Chevrolet Aveo5. While a revving engine is not a normal operation, there are a few common causes for this type of fault. The most common are a vacuum leak, oxygen sensor, MAF sensor, exhaust leak, or a throttle plate that is stuck. Have the intermittent high revving issue diagnosed by a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic.