Q: How can I tell if a car with a recall was fixed? Can a mechanic tell?

Thinking of purchasing a 2007 Suzuki sx4. There are two recalls for that model, how can I tell if this particular vehicle has been repaired? I have the VIN but the safercar.gov doesn't provide info for Suzuki autos, only cycles. Carfax doesn't list a recall repair in the vehicle history, but it doesn't list the recalls either. Vin Check Pro doesn't have maintenance records, but does list the recalls, as does consumer reports. Everything else on the car checks out, but I would like to know how to tell if recall issues were fixed before purchasing.

The manufacture should be able to tell you. To my knowledge the US Department of Transportation will have that information available to you. You should be able to access that information on their website dedicated to making the roads safer: Safercar.gov. It is located under the "Vehicle’s Owner" tab at the top of the page. If the current owners and the repair reports do not have records of these repairs, they likely have not been done. Do you know if this specific vehicle is within the recall parameters? The Vin lookup should be able to answer most of these questions for you. Always consider getting a pre-purchase vehicle inspection performed before any purchase.

3. How can I tell if a car with a recall was fixed? Can a mechanic tell?