Q: i have been noticing increasing poor acceleration performance & bad gas mileage and now my check engine light is on

I was told about a year ago that my mdx could use a valve adjustment, but havent been able to afford it, could that be why the check engine light has come on now? I just had it smogged a couple weeks ago & it passed. (I do know that it's overdue for an oil change & tune-up)

A: If the Check Engine Light is on then you wo...

If the Check Engine Light is on then you would need to have the computer checked to see if the code received pertains to the problems you are having. Not getting the valves adjusted may start to cause misfire codes. The engine will then run rough, misfire, or have other running issues that would be corrected by the valve adjustment. The best suggestion is to have the computer checked by a mechanic to diagnose the Check Engine Light code and problems you’re experiencing to find the right fix.