Q: My car was jerking/shaking while waiting at a stop slight and driving on freeway with engine and tire traction lights flashing.

asked by on December 19, 2017

My car was jerking/shaking while waiting at a stop slight. Once I was driving on the freeway the engine and tire traction lights started flashing and acceleration was slowed. The car was still shaking and I was just trying to make it home. I don't want to risk damaging the engine any more so I think I may need someone to come by and check things out.

There are a couple of things that may have caused that kind of shaking or jerking. If this is related to the transmission, this may be caused by low transmission fluid or a faulty shift solenoid. The traction control light may have come on as a result of this kind of shaking. The traction control system is monitored by sensors that detect when there is excessive vibration or abnormalities in the movement of the wheels. This will need to be looked at by a professional such as one from YourMechanic to determine how to properly diagnose and repair.