Q: transmission repair

asked by on March 02, 2017

Can I put a 2wd s10 transmission in my 4wd s10 and still have 4wd.

The transmission tag ID on your present 4WD transmission is "1TAD" (you’ll see the tag under a bolt or riveted onto the transmission). However, the transmission that was used on the rear wheel drive only version of your truck has a tag ID of "1SHD". Consequently, the two transmissions are absolutely not interchangeable. Your existing TCM won’t be able to communicate or control the "alternative" transmission and you’ll face numerous headaches. Due to the integration of computers that control engines and transmissions, the interchanges that are installed must be absolutely EXACT. If you need a transmission for your present 4WD version, go to Car-Part.com and you will find an EXACT match for your present truck and there are many choices listed there, too. If you are interested in a transmission replacement (OEM to OEM), YourMechanic professionals in certain locales can assist with that. Please simply inquire based on your locale. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.