Q: What does the Brake light mean on the dash?

What does the Brake light mean on the dash?

A: There are quite a few important lights on t...

There are quite a few important lights on the dash of your car, all of which are designed to provide you with vital information about vehicle systems and their operation. The Brake light on the dash should come on briefly during startup, and then it should go off. If it stays on, it means one of several things:

• It may mean that the parking brake is engaged. Check the brake and release it (with your foot on the brake pedal).

• If you release the parking brake and the light does not go off, it means that either the parking brake did not release, or that there is a problem with the Brake system.

• If the brake light comes on while you’re driving, it indicates that either the system is low on brake fluid, or there is a malfunction with your brakes.

Tip

If the brake light comes on and stays on, have your car inspected immediately. Driving with a malfunctioning Brake light is never a good idea and could seriously jeopardize your safety, as well as that of your passengers and others on the road.