Q: Shuddering shaking from take off through 1st and 2nd gear. What can cause this? I just bought the car and I'm scared I was ripped.

I just bought the car yesterday. The car was fine on test drive and all yesterday. Tonight I left work and it was really cold. However I doubt cold weather would cause my problem. When I'm at a stop light or stop sign I get a shuddering shaking feeling from the car. It happens again shifting from 1st to second gear and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd. After that it's fine. What can cause this problem? Like I said I just bought the car for $10,000 and I feel I was kind of ripped off. Can you help.?

This is often a sign of low transmission fluid or a faulty transmission control solenoid. As you know, automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all. This type of problem is amplified any time the transmission is low on fluid creating a drop in hydraulic pressure. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. Shuddering shaking from take off through 1st and 2nd gear. What can cause this? I just bought the car and I'm scared I was ripped.