Q: What would make my check engine light come on this much?

asked by on November 05, 2015

I am at the end of my rope with my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee that always seems to have the Check Engine light lit up on the dashboard. For one reason another, with or without other symptoms, the light comes on often. I have had it serviced and reset 4 times now in the 39,000 miles I have driven it. This is not acceptable! Is my car a lemon?

Without specific information about your engine size and which engine codes have previously been reset, it is difficult to thoroughly diagnose the problem.

Using the 3.6L engine as a reference, I found that this engine may have issues with random misfiring, caused by possible cylinder leakage on the left cylinder head, that can cause the check engine to illuminate with or without symptoms.

Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 09-002-14 dated December 15, 2014 specifies engine codes P0300, P0302, P0304, and P0306 as indicators of this issue.

If these codes appear during testing, I recommend calling your dealer because this TSB may include an extension of your warranty coverage for the test and repairs.