Q: Problems going to reverse on a T 150

asked by on June 08, 2016

Another question for the T150. Whenever I put the truck in reverse, the engine drops below 500. There is no stalling, but the engine seems to lose power. When I step on the gas and go in reverse, when I go on the brakes, it kind of bugs off.

Loss of power Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The first thing you’d want to think about is: does it do it in reverse and drive? If it only does it in reverse, you either got a problem with the transmission or your differential, the rear differential. One of these components is dragging the engine. If you put it in drive, and it doesn’t do that at all it’s because there is no difference between going in reverse and drive to the engine.

If it does it in both drive and reverse, then you’ve got a problem with maybe the fuel injectors. They may need cleaning or a tuneup. It just isn’t running right.

However, if there is a problem only in reverse then you’ve got an issue with either the transmission or the rear differential. The differential might have a problem with dragging too much when you are going in reverse.

If you need help with these checks, contact a certified mechanic who can diagnose the loss of power you’re experiencing and make the necessary repairs to get your car running normally again.