Q: Blinking engine light

Last night my car started shaking after getting off the interstate. Engine light was flashing and I got the message "service emission system". With acceleration, the car shook and would idle very rough once I got it home about three miles away.

The engine shaking and idling rough with a flashing check engine light is an indication you have a misfire in the engine. If you have a computer scan it should show ignition misfire codes to one or more cylinders misfiring. For instance if cylinder number two was misfiring you would get a code P0302 in the computer when tested. This directs you to the cylinder to look for problems. You may have a bad coil, spark plug or plug wire boot. You would need to isolate the cause of the misfire once the codes are retrieved. If you need assistance then have a mechanic like one from YourMechanic scan for codes and locate the problem or cause of the misfire.

3. Blinking engine light