Q: Steering lock issue - how easy to fix, does the key have to be reprogrammed? YouTube shows easy fix. Dealer to charge me $1,200

asked by on December 24, 2016

Nissan dealership says/confirms it's a steering lock malfunction as to why my car won't start though key can lock unock doors. I saw YouTube videos that seem to show its a simple fix, yet the dealer says my key needs to be reprogrammed and need a new steering lock. I'm not sure what to believe but $1,200 is basically all the money I have. I can't afford to have my car fixed.

Hello. If it has been confirmed that the steering lock unit has malfunctioned then the proper repair would be to replace it, or have it replaced. If you only wish to disable the steering lock function then there are methods to do so, which will allow the vehicle to start, albeit without a functioning steering lock mechanism. The steering lock unit is locate beneath the dash, above the driver side footwell. It has one electrical connector, and 2 screws that secure it. Replacement requires basic hand tools and disassembly of the vehicle’s interior in order to access the component. If you are unsure about such a procedure, I would recommend having a professional technician carry out the repairs to avoid any potential issues.