Q: Four-wheel-drive won't go into gear

Four-wheel-drive won't go into gear.

A: Hello, there seems to be two common reasons...

Hello, there seems to be two common reasons behind why your Dodge Dakota will not engage its’ four wheel drive. The first reason is due to the wiring harness for the four wheel drive selector switch. Over time rubbing on the drive shaft causes it to break its’ connection, and prevents you from shifting your Dakota into four wheel drive. The harness will need to be replaced and rerouted safely by a certified mechanic to stop this problem from happening again in the future.

Another common reason I see four wheel drives not engaging is due to a failed four wheel drive selector switch. This switch is located on the transfer case, where it transfers power to the front wheels, allowing for the four wheel drive. Other, less common problems, could be behind why the four drive is not working on your Dodge Dakota so it is important to enlist the assistance of a certified mechanic for proper diagnosis of your gear-shifting issue.