Q: Doesn't shift park reverse

My CLK350 convertible won't go into park or reverse. So I have to turn it off the car and restart it to put it into reverse. It doesn't happen all of the time but often. My parking sensors don't light up when I stop. Maybe there is a speed sensor that activates the parking sensors below a certain speed. My Anti Lock Braking System lights don't even come on and everything else works fine. Do you know what could be causing this problem and how I can fix it? Thank you.

Hello there, thanks for writing in about your 2005 Mercedes CLK350. This is not an uncommon fault. The most likely cause would be the neutral safety switch, transmission linkage, transmission range switch, or low transmission fluid level. Since there are a variety of issues that could cause this, I would have a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose your shifting issue and perform the repairs needed to get your car safely back on the road.

3. Doesn't shift park reverse