Q: Car Clunking Noise

Hi there. My car makes a constant clunking noise that only diminishes for a couple seconds during acceleration. It never gets worse. Someone backed into my car and dislodged my bumper, making me think it was an exhaust leak. However, I had an oil change today and the mechanic thought it sounded mechanical, but did not give me any further ideas. Thank you!

This is a common noise when the driveline U-joints are bad. Underneath your car there is a driveline that is connect from the transmission to the rear differential. At these connection points there are U-joints that can make this type of a clunk when they have too much play in them. Also, in the rear differential there is something called a ring and pinion gear which turn as the wheels turn and when these also have too much play in them, a similar clunking noise or feel can be experienced. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose the noise firsthand for an accurate repair.