Q: Jeep won't shift from second to third

My jeep won't shift out of second into third gear. The car was going down the road at 30 MPH with only 2 RPMs. I could hear a metal-on-metal grinding sound coming from the undercarriage. It also, lept when driving, and while stopped at a light, it felt as if something was tapping the rear of the car. This happened twice. I detect no smells, see no drips, or leakage. I don't know if it is the synchronizer, if I need a new transmission, or something else entirely.

A: The information provided for your Jeep Gran...

The information provided for your Jeep Grand Cherokee is limited so it is difficult to point you in the right direction. However the symptoms lead me to believe that your vehicle may have put itself in “limp mode”, meaning that there is a bigger problem behind your symptoms and the computer puts the engine and transmission into a sort of safety mode to prevent further damage to the engine and transmission. I highly recommend enlisting the assistance of a certified mechanic to come by and perform a diagnostic on your Jeep. They have the proper tools and knowledge to identify exactly why your Jeep is making grinding noises, experiencing these other symptoms, and assist in making the necessary repairs to keep your Jeep road worthy.