Q: Car chugs & dies when gas gauge gets to 1/4 full

My car has been acting very strangely. When the gas goes below the ¼ tank mark, the car starts chugging. It’s as if, for a few seconds, the tank is empty. So I get gasoline and then it will go up again. But then it dies, with a quarter tank. Refueling at the ¼ mark has been the only solution. What do you suggest?

A: The fuel sending unit is not accurate and i...

The fuel sending unit is not accurate and is empty at 1/4 of a tank, or you have a fuel pump that has a faulty bottom screen which has come off and sucks air below a 1/4 tank. A big problem that these vehicles have is the plastic fuel tank. It can get deformed in the center of the tank, where the fuel pump and sender sit, and will cause the issues you've described.

Either way the tank should be inspected and replaced if it is deformed. Some of these vehicles have had recalls on the tanks. I'd recommend checking with the dealer to see if you are due for any recalls on the vehicle.

Feel free to contact a certified technician who will be able to diagnose these symptoms firsthand and find out why your car is dying. One the necessary check are made, an accurate repair can be followed through.