Q: Car won't shift out of first gear

asked by on November 10, 2016

I was driving my car and out of nowhere, it would not switch out of first gear and would only drive at about 30 mph. There is also a loud noise while it is being driven.

Not able to change gears Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

With the age and mileage of the vehicle, it is possible there is an internal failure inside the transmission. It is possible the front pump has failed. If this happens, the internal fluid pressure will not be sufficient to engage certain or all gears. Also, the clutch packs (yes, automatic transmissions have clutches internally) may be worn to the point of slipping or not engaging the gears each clutch set is responsible for. It will be best to have a transmission specialist to inspect your transmission as soon as possible for a proper diagnosis. However, If you’d like a convenient second opinion, have one of our mobile technicians come out to your location and diagnose the issue with your gears firsthand. Best of luck.